Friday, July 18, 2014

First Nutritarian Grocery Trip!

I went shopping yesterday, for about 3 days worth of food. I'm starting to think I way overpurchased for 3 days, but I think we'll be able to eat it all before it goes bad. I honestly don't know how many vegetables one really needs in a day to feel full - Maybe I should weigh out a pound of greens for each of us. After shopping for a couple of hours, I was too overwhelmed by all of the lettuce to take a nice picture of it, but I went a little fruit crazy, so here's the fruit bowl!

Bananas, mangoes, pears, apples, apricots, peaches, oranges, a cantaloupe in the corner of the photo and two pounds of strawberries in the fridge.

I'm lucky because there's a really great fruit market about a mile from my house and everything is super cheap. ($.99 for a pound of strawberries!) I got almost all of our produce for the next few days there, for about $45. I then went to Kroger to get some items that they didn't have at the fruit market, and some weird stuff - tahini, almond milk, flaxseeds, and a few other things and spent ANOTHER $45. Luckily the things I bought at Kroger should last me a while, but if I had to buy all of my produce at Kroger, I couldn't afford to do this diet.
So, to Joe Randazzo's, my fruit market, thank you for existing! Though you sometimes don't have everything I want, you have what I need; and some cool stuff I hadn't tried before, all for extremely reasonable prices.
I'm hoping to actually get out to the Eastern Market in Detroit pretty soon here, I just need a Saturday off work! (And to wake up early enough on said Saturday to make it before all  of the good stuff is gone.)
Hopefully grocery shopping will be a little easier next time, but if it wasn't so time consuming this time, I would've never tried apricots - would've just walked right past them - so I'm not too upset about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment